Diamonds are timeless symbols of love, commitment, and luxury.
But while they are renowned for being the hardest substance on earth, diamond rings and jewellery still require gentle care to maintain their brilliant sparkle and pristine condition.
Here’s a guide to ensuring your treasured pieces remain as dazzling as the day you received them:
- Mild Solution: Mix a few drops of mild dishwashing liquid with warm water. Let your diamond jewellery soak for about 20-30 minutes.
- Soft Brushing: Gently brush your diamond with a soft toothbrush, focusing on the underside where grime tends to accumulate. This is especially crucial for diamond rings as they are frequently worn and exposed.
- Rinse & Dry: Rinse the jewellery in warm running water and pat dry with a soft lint-free cloth. Ensure all moisture is removed, especially from the nooks and crevices.
- It's advisable to have your diamond jewellery professionally cleaned at establishments like Simon West Jewellery in Melbourne’s CBD once or twice a year. They use professional tools that can rejuvenate your diamond’s sparkle without causing any damage.
- Avoid Touching the Diamond: When putting on or taking off your ring, handle it by the band. Oils and dirt from your fingers can diminish the diamond's brilliance.
- Keep Away from Chemicals: Exposure to lotions, perfumes, hairsprays, and household chemicals can build a film on diamonds, reducing their lustre. It's best to put on your diamond jewellery as a final touch after dressing and grooming.
- Separate Compartments: Diamonds can scratch other gemstones and even other diamonds. When storing, keep each piece in individual soft cloth pouches or separate compartments in a jewellery box.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Store your diamond jewellery away from direct sunlight or areas with severe temperature fluctuations like near heaters or air-conditioners.
- With wear and time, the settings of your diamond jewellery can become loose. It's advisable to get your pieces checked annually, or more often if worn daily, at a reputable jeweller like Simon West Jewellery to ensure that the diamond is secure.
- If you’re travelling, carry your diamond jewellery in a protective case. Ensure they are individually wrapped or separated to avoid scratches.
Be Conscious of Physical Activity:
- If you're engaging in strenuous activities like gardening, gym exercises, or any physical labour, it's wise to remove your diamond rings to prevent potential damages or loosening the settings.
- These machines can shake loose stones from their setting. While they are effective in cleaning, they might not be suitable for older jewellery or pieces with minor damages. Always consult with a jeweller before using ultrasonic cleaners.
Watch Out for Chlorinated Pools:
- Extended exposure to chlorine can damage and discolour the mounting of your diamond jewellery. Always remove them before entering a chlorinated pool or hot tub.
- While not a direct care tip, insuring your diamond jewellery is a prudent step. It gives you peace of mind knowing that your precious pieces are covered against potential loss, theft, or damage. We recommend Q Report Jewellery Insurance.
Diamonds, with their captivating brilliance, are indeed special.
They evoke emotions, symbolise milestones, and often become cherished heirlooms.
While they are resilient, they are not indestructible. With the right care, you can ensure that your diamond rings and jewellery continue to shine bright, reflecting the timeless tales and emotions they carry.
At Simon West Fine Jewellery, we understand the emotional and monetary value of diamond pieces.
Our commitment extends beyond crafting exquisite pieces - we are dedicated to helping you cherish them for a lifetime.
Remember, a well-cared-for diamond is a sparkling testament to life's most beautiful moments and memories.